Mashable, one of the leading websites for social media, tech news and all things digital recently held their first Mashable conference with some of the leading names from America in various fields attending. Obviously Twitter was high on the agenda and they asked their attendees for some tips on how to make the most of Twitter.
Personally, I love Twitter ( you can follow me under the @SDX_media handle) I believe twitter is first about listening and then engaging, don't be afraid to tweet someone you don't know. From personal experience I have learnt so much from watching and getting involved with discussions, Manchester has some very talented people and Twitter has certainly helped me learn from them an opportnity I would never have had if it wasn't for the little blue bird. I will do a follow up post shortly of Tweeters I enjoy and recommend.
Some of the tips are very good and you can't argue with most of them, however what do other people recmommend for Twitters Top Tips, feel free to leave your tips in the comment section below..
Twitter Tips from Mashable Connect
- 1) @jeffpulver, Casting Director, #140conf: “The secret to Twitter is to listen, connect, share and engage. It’s the conversations that matter.”
- 2) @davepeck, Director of Community, Meshin: “Respond to everybody, positive or negative.”
- 3) @michiganflavor, COO, MIFlavor.com: “Retweet, retweet, retweet. People love to see their stuff retweeted, and they’ll start retweeting you.”
- 4) @shrmsocmedguy, Social Media Strategist, Shrm: “Use your tweeting to set up meetings.”
- 5) @dstatusstalker, Chief Status Stalker, Status Stalker: “Start a conversation. Reach out to others, and say hello.”
- 6) @kratzpr, Founder, Kratz PR: “Don’t think of it as a tool, think of it as a gateway for being social.”
- 7) @ctreada, CEO, Notice Technologies: “Ignore it; they’re all pornographers anyway.” (Chris’s other tip: “Chill out.”)
- 8) @jkrohrs, VP of Marketing, ExactTarget: “Don’t tweet if you can’t spell.”
- 9) @moniguzman, Director of Outreach, Intersect: “Tweet what comes naturally. Don’t try to fulfill someone else’s expectations.”
- 10) @shashib, Social Media Swami, Network Solutions: “More than an RSS feed, connecting with people on Twitter gives you interesting content that is validated by them.”
- 11) @jennydevaughn, Director, Social Strategy, @HODES: “You need to have brand sacrifice if you want to be viewed as an expert in your field. Only tweet about 10 topics, events or ideas.”
- 12) @robkey, CEO, Converseon: “Embrace your insignificance.”
- 13) @zagrrl: VP Technology, Innovation Center for US Diary: “The best way to learn is to share.”
- 14) @heidiotway: VP & Director Social Media, Salter Mitchell: “Follow the best, learn from the best.”
- 15) @jonnorp, Director of Social Media, American Airlines: “Remember that it flies forever.”
- 16) @chrisvary, Director of Emerging Technology, Weber Shandwick: “Don’t connect your Twitter to Facebook.”
- 17) @joeyinteractive, Interactive Creative Director, Disney Parks: “Marketing doesn’t spread; stories do.”